9/10/2021

Aw Nuts! - Part 2

About three weeks ago I wrote about the abundant crop of acorns I was seeing/hearing. Every time the wind blew you could hear the acorns dropping from the surrounding oak trees here at The Gulch. You’d hear them hitting the roof, hitting the tops of cars, trucks, and SUVs parked nearby. You’d see them on the ground, either whole or in pieces, on the driveways and yards, and in some cases in the bed of my pickup truck.

I thought the ‘rain of acorns’ would taper off after a couple of weeks.

I was wrong.

If anything else, the numbers of acorns dropping from the oaks have increased, and not by a little bit. After the rains we’ve had over the past couple of days (which also contributed to the rain of acorns), the winds that came out of the northwest starting this morning have been causing bouts of heavy acornfall. It is times like this that I’m glad we don’t have a metal roof here at The Gulch. The acorns hitting our roof sometimes sound like gunshots. Hearing some of them hit one of our through-wall A/C units certainly gives me an indication of what it would sound like if our roof was metal rather than wood and asphalt shingles.

If this keeps up at this rate I’m going to have to start shoveling acorns off my driveway.

This is the worse I’ve ever seen it in all these years.