9/10/2012

It Didn't Take Long

It certainly didn't take long.

Yesterday I mentioned in my weekly Thoughts On A Sunday post that it wouldn't be long before the Dems tried to set up an October surprise. Here it is, one day later, and it's already started.

First, there's a number of Twitter streams claiming all kinds of nasty things about Romney, including a fake Romney quote about slaves, that he wants to abolish the Martin Luther King holiday, and that his campaign slogan came from an old KKK campaign.

Then there's this roundabout way that Obama might be seen as a 'savior'. It came from a reader e-mail commenting on the Chicago teacher's strike.

“It MAY be ALL coincidental, but within the last couple of weeks, my cousin told me about a truly diabolical plan for election ‘optics.’ He is a Longshoreman in Texas. His union was considering going on strike for the sole purpose of allowing BHO to intervene and settle the labor dispute and look like either a uniter or maybe even tough on unions. So, when I saw that Rahm’s teachers went on strike in spite of a 16% pay raise offer, my mind went places that logic would never take it, but modern day politics do. Worth watching anyway. Also, to protect my cousin from retribution from union thugs, I suppose it would be best to avoid attribution here.”

Would I put it past the Obama campaign, and particularly David Axelrod, to pull off such a scheme? Nope. It is, after all, politics, Chicago-style. (Think Jack Ryan during the 2004 Senate campaign.)