12/04/2021

Signs Of Winter Are Here...Early

If I need an indication that winter is here and may be colder than normal, one of the local ponds near our airport is all frozen over a lot earlier than normal. I also saw some ice on the southern end of Alton Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee while on my way to and from the town of Wolfeboro to do some Christmas shopping for Katy. While we’ve had a little snow, I don’t see this as the sole harbinger of winter. For me, it’s the ice.

We’ve had winters where the big lake never froze over, where only coves and portions of the bays had ice, but the main part of the lake was ice free.

That the pond in question was frozen over on December 1st, the earliest I recall it being frozen over in 20 years of living here at Lake Winnipesaukee, is telling.

We do have snow on the way this coming week, so let’s see how this winter is going to shape up.