9/26/2020

They're Here! They're Here!

We’ve been waiting for the fall foliage to arrive, something we usually see occurring starting a week before Columbus Day weekend. Imagine my surprise to see a splash of fall colors on my way into work yesterday. What made it so surprising is that the colors appeared overnight.

On my way home from work on Wednesday the only trees showing any color were the swamp maples as they are usually the first to turn and do so a few weeks before any of the trees turn. But on my way into work yesterday morning the reds, oranges, and yellows could be seen everywhere, usually in patches of color surrounded by wide areas of green. That isn’t usually how the foliage turns, so it makes me wonder if the lengthy drought we’ve experienced this summer has something to do with it

I thought the colors would be muted because of the aforementioned drought, but they have been spectacular so far. Here’s hoping that remains the case because it will mean an equally spectacular foliage season for the leaf-peepers to enjoy.