7/25/2026

Small Town Doings

It was one of those small town America things that took place in my home town today.

There was nothing political about it, though there was talk about politics now and then.

It wasn’t something that made news headlines, nor can I think of why something like this would.

What is this “thing” I keep talking about?

Island Cleanup Day.

Every year our town sets aside one Saturday in July so folks from the islands on Lake Winnipesaukee that happen to be in our town can bring junk and stuff to our town docks so our DPW can dispose of it for them.

Items they bring include pieces of lumber left over from a demolition/renovations, an old charcoal or gas grill, old doors and windows, furniture that is either broken or of no more use, box springs and mattresses, bits and pieces of concrete or old bags of concrete mix that have solidified, old kayaks, jon boats, canoes, paddle boards, and even sailboats. (One islander brought in an old small catamaran sailboat, towing it behind his 26 foot runabout.) Sometimes it’s boxes of books, old TVs and radios, water heaters, sump pumps or well pumps, old pipes – both cast iron and copper, electrical cable (including old BX armored cable), and pieces of decking or from their docks. There have also been old lawnmowers, leaf blowers, and weed whackers.

This year the most common item we saw were old slider doors. Dozens of them. Why? I haven’t a clue.

Last year is was storm doors. The year before that it was old windows of the double-hung sash type.

Folks from the DPW as well as volunteers (like me) help unload the islanders’ boats and get the junk to the appropriate 30-yard dumpster or dump truck or trailer for proper disposal.

People get to hob nob, get to know the islanders and the DPW crew and volunteers. It’s something I’ve been volunteering for for over 10 years now and I intend to keep doing so for as long as I can.

I have to say that it was a perfect day for this event as it was sunny with temps in the upper 70’s/lower 80’s, low humidity and a slight breeze. I was glad to see the islanders made the best of this year’s Island Cleanup Day.

While not a town-wide event, it did show a little bit of small town America that so many of us yearn for.