6/29/2024

It Was Painful

I listened to the debate between Joe Biden and Donald Trump this past Thursday and my first impression was that it was painful to watch...which is why I was glad I was just listening to it. I’m glad I’ve had a day or two to ponder this debate as I think we can all agree that it was a proverbial sh*t show, pretty much as I expected it to be. Have my impressions or opinions about it changed in the two days since it took place?

Not in the least.

My first impression was that much of it seemed to be a repeating loop of “He’s a liar!” “No, he’s a liar!”

Biden couldn’t seem to remember what he was supposed to be talking about from one minute to the next. Trump didn’t seem to be willing to stay on topic, not answering questions he was asked but instead returning to comments Biden had made and that Trump had already rebutted.

I later watched some of the video of the debate, not so much to rehash anything in the debate itself but to see body language and facial expressions. One the first things I noticed was Biden’s eyes since at times he looked like he was giving a glassy-eyed stare as he was addressing the moderators. Another thing that I noticed, though it took a while, was that when he was addressing a question by the moderators his eyes didn’t blink.

It may be just me, but if it wasn’t for the fact that it was Joe Biden I was looking at, I would immediately made the assumption that this person was ‘juiced’ by a cocktail of pharmaceuticals to keep him upright and semi-cogent. That is not good. With that in mind I know that members of governments around the world, both allies and adversaries, were seeing a man who was not competent to be in office, let alone up on that stage. He wasn’t really there.

On Trump’s side I have to think he made a ‘yuge’ mistake in not prepping for the debate. His responses and rebuttals were too off the cuff and in too many cases were incomplete, not germane to the topic at hand, or an emotional outburst. He seemed to be playing a game of “Got ya last!”, not something that should be part of any presidential debate. He should have addressed the questions of the moderators, shown that he knew what he was talking about and that Biden didn’t. But instead he got into that “You’re a poopyhead!” mindset and couldn’t seem to put it aside.

Frankly, I expected much better from Trump.

If this first debate is an indicator, I have to think that there won’t be a second debate between these two in September for a number of reasons, the biggest being that Joe won’t be capable of handling it. Then there’s the possibility that Joe will make the decision, or have the decision made for him, that he will not run for re-election. From what I’ve seen in the media from the usual suspects – CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and others – the Democrats have realized they have a major problem on their hands.

If they do keep Biden, they’ll need to find someone other than Kamala Harris as the VP because it’s likely Biden won’t finish out a second term. Harris is an idiot and always has been. At least Biden has his dementia to blame for his idiocy. I always saw Harris as a ‘Poison Pill’ VP, meaning someone absolutely no one (including the Democrats) wanted to see become President as a means of keeping Joe in the Oval Office.

If Joe ‘decides’ not to run, then who would replace him?

We already know that Gavin Newsom is waiting in the wings so he can do to the US what he’s already done to California – turn it into Venezuela del Norte. Hillary is a non-starter because too many people in both parties hate her and no one wants to be ‘arkansided’ if she takes office. (It also doesn’t help that she apparently has health issues of her own.) I have no idea if the Democrats would try to get RFK Jr. to fill in even though he isn’t nearly as far Left enough as some in the DNC would like to him to be.

It looks like we may be living out the reality of that old Chinese curse – “May you live in interesting times.”