4/07/2023

EVs Ain't All That Once You Look Closer

Instapundit takes note of Kia’s new EV9 and finding it’s “not actually impressive.”

From the comments come this observation:

"But this is not bad: 'And will charge from 10 to 80 percent in under 25 minutes.' "

Really? I can go from 1% to 100% of fuel for my pickup in less than 4 minutes - 26 gallons of gas - and go well over 400 miles while carrying three other passengers and a half-ton of cargo.

The Kia - or any other EV - does not impress me at all. Twenty five minutes to go from 10 to 80 percent charge means that's 25 minutes I'm not getting things done. I don't have time for that. I'm too busy.

And these two:

...will charge from 10 to 80 percent in under 25 minutes using a 230-kWh Level 3 charger

...... Googles "price of 230 kwh level 3 charger" ......

You can expect to pay anywhere from $10,000 to $80,000 for a quality Level 3 EV charger, this includes installation and associated permitting costs. Of course, the exact cost will depend on a number of factors, such as the specific charger you select and the prevailing electrical rates in your area.

Followed by this one in response:

I think you'll find one of those 230 kwh level 3 chargers require 440V 3-phase. You don't see that in residential areas, at least not in the rural and semi-rural areas.

A 230KWH charger would require a 1000 amp service using a 220V drop. I know I wouldn't want to pay for one.

The more you dig into the realities of EVs, the more you realize EVs are not a solution to the alleged climate change problem being caused by cars and trucks. They are a smokescreen that ignores the very big negatives of EVs.