5/09/2010

Thoughts On A Sunday

It's been a not so great weekend, weather wise. It was rainy and windy yesterday and cold and windy today, meaning neither day was good for working out of doors. No yard work was done, nor any
pre-launch work on the boat completed.

About the only thing we managed to get done was the week's laundry.

**********

Believe it or not we've added yet another feline member to our family here at The Manse.

Miley, a three-legged cat originally belonging to a friend of ours needed a new home because she wasn't getting along with our friend's dogs. So we told her we'd take Miley where the worst thing she might have to deal with was the crowding around the supper dishes when we doled out The Wonderful Food (IAMS wet cat food, given more as an appetizer rather than the main course).

We picked her up this afternoon and once here she quickly made her initial rounds. Then holed up behind the washing machine for the rest of the day.

At least the other felines here didn't seem to have any problems with her. Charlotte, our last addition to the family, already knew Miley because the same friend had found her abandoned in a foreclosed home and fostered her until we were able to take her.

**********

I still haven't figured out the reasoning behind this, where apparently it's disrespectful to wear an American flag tee shirt...in America.

I think the school principal should be fired for caving to such racist PC bulls**t. He doesn't seem to realize that in this country we have something called free speech. Wearing the American flag on a tee shirt in America is part of that freedom of speech.

**********

This is something I've known for quite some time: Carbs are worse for us than fat.

Skip Murphy over at GraniteGrok and I have been in a competition to see which one of us will reach our target weight of 195 pounds first. (I think it will probably be him.) The only thing I did for my diet was cut out as many processed carbohydrates as I can and I've watched the weight drop off my frame. The few times I slipped the weight loss stopped or even reversed slightly. The rest of my diet has included both saturated and unsaturated fats, protein (in the form of beef, chicken, and pork), and some of the dense nutrition carbohydrates (broccoli, spinach, kale, green beans, etc).

There's also this: both my total cholesterol and HDL/LDL ratio have improved greatly since I dropped the processed carbs from my diet.

That doesn't mean I won't avail myself of cake, ice cream, or fries now and then, but those times will be few and far between.

(H/T Volohk Conspiracy)

**********

If you have a problem telling New Hampshire and Vermont apart, here's a guide that will help you do just that.

I have to agree with both the article and some of those commenting that my home state of New Hampshire is totally bad-ass as compared to Vermont. Heck, it's bad-ass as compared to most states. Even our state flag is bad-ass.

Those states more bad-ass than New Hampshire? Texas and Alaska.

(H/T Bogieblog)

**********

Speaking of New Hampshire, here's another thing that can be considered bad-ass: The New Hampshire Supreme Court has handed down a decision that states bloggers have many of the same rights as the conventional media, i.e. the Main Stream Media.

Unlike some states, this one believes in the freedom of speech and freedom of the press, even if the 'press' is some guy in his pajamas blogging about the events of the day.

**********

Also from Wizbang: Could it be that maybe liberals are just plain stupid?

I have to agree with a number of points brought up in the post. I also have to add that far too many times I've been in a debate with a self-professed liberal and more often than not they've prefaced their 'talking points' with the phrase “I feel that....” I've responded to that phrasing with the retort “I don't care how you feel about [place subject du jour here]. I want to know what you think about it.” And more often than not they've responded with “What's the difference?”

At that point I know any further discussion is a waste of time because they are incapable of using logic. All they have going for them is emotion and that's an always disastrous basis for making any kind of decision that affects dozens/hundreds/thousands/millions of people. It doesn't have anything to do with their level of education as they let their emotions override their thinking.

**********

And that's the news from Lake Winnipesaukee, where the weather has not been cooperating, the good weather is returning for the workweek, and where once again Monday has returned all too soon.