11/03/2018

Mood Of The Voters?

I have been reading the various reports, opinion pieces and letters to the editor in our local paper, as well as the comment sections on various blogs, political and news websites and trying to gauge the mood of the voters in regards to the upcoming elections on Tuesday. Some have been upbeat, some neutral, and some quite pessimistic and, dare I say, apocryphal.

Before I continue, I will admit to some bias as I am, after all, a conservative. I have also been brought up with manners and taught to be civil, even to people who may not be polite or civil in return. I do try my best to keep a balanced view but I do realize I have my biases and they aren’t always easy to keep in check.

There are two different themes I’m seeing amongst the voters: one looking at what has happened over the past two years and seeing mostly positives, though there are some things that still trouble them; the others are emotional, with anger and fear being the most prominent feelings, seeing their political opponents as evil racists/sexists/fascists that need to be stopped by whatever means necessary. This second group cannot or will not see that things have gotten better. Some make libelous/slanderous accusations and are willing to believe the most outrageous rumors and unsubstantiated ‘reports’.

Reading their letters and comments, they seem to be able to believe only the worst about their political opposites. It’s pure emotion with little or no rationale or logic to their screeds. How does one debate with someone who will not listen to anything their opponents have to say? Their minds are made up. As such they will vote for those who are locked onto the same mindset. They also appear to believe that a majority of Americans agree with them so they expect the so-called Blue Wave will return their candidates to power by overwhelming numbers. So that begs the question: What will they do if the Blue Wave doesn’t materialize and the GOP maintains control of Congress? How will they explain away the fact that a majority of Americans didn’t agree with them? Will their mindset allow them to accept the election outcome?

Only time will tell.