8/27/2017

Thoughts On A Sunday

It was Old Home Day in our little town yesterday. It started with breakfast hosted by one of the local non-profit organizations at our village church, then a 5K road race, followed by a parade, and then the official start of the festivities at the community field in the village.

There was plenty to see, eat, buy, and sample along the 'midway' as well as games and contests for the kids, music from some of the local bands, and to top it all off, fireworks in the evening.

All in all, it was a good time had by all.

*****************


Have you ever wondered where political correctness came from?

I know I have. I've always seen it as a pernicious and viral sickness that has infected our society, replacing common sense and long used phrases and terms with things that offend everyone all in the name of trying to offend no one.

Ironically, the term itself came from a comic strip, meant as something of a joke. The problem is is that it is not a joke.

It is the great disease of our century, the disease that has left tens of millions of people dead in Europe, in Russia, in China, indeed around the world. It is the disease of ideology. PC is not funny. PC is deadly serious.

Read The Whole Thing.

*****************


I find this one a little heard to believe.

As much as I love my home state of New Hampshire, I think that US News & World Report got this exactly wrong.

US News & World Report rated states from best to worst. My home state was rated as #2, just below Massachusetts. If this had been the 'old' US News & World Report, I might agree with the rating. But over the past decade the magazine's ideological shift from center-right to left has me questioning their rating system. In more than one rating area, specifically government and crime & corrections, Massachusetts rated much higher than New Hampshire. I don't know for sure how the weighted these factors, but something seems off.

This is the same magazine that rated school systems in each state and rated the schools in our town at #6. Anyone living here would know that isn't the case as most would rate them as just above average. This is particularly galling considering that we have one of the most expensive school systems in the state.

Another useless article signifying nothing.

*****************


As the good Perfessor Reynolds asks again and again, “Why are Progressive Utopias such cesspits of racism?” In this case he's referring to Portland, Oregon driving away new residents of color.

At a lecture in Portland last October, Isabel Wilkerson—the Pulitzer Prize-winning author who wrote about the great migration of Black Americans from the south to the north—said that when people leave a place, it’s often a referendum on the very place they leave.

So then what does it mean when I, and other people of color (POC), walk away from Portland because we can no longer stomach its racism? What does it say about Portland and specifically, the failure of its liberalism?

--snip--

When I lived in other more diverse US cities, I didn’t feel such a pressing need to talk about race. But in Portland, I often felt forced to do so because of the daily slights I, and so many other POC, experienced. It was taxing and unfair—especially on my partner, who rightfully missed the days when I wasn’t so obsessed with the topic. And thanks to living in many other cities, I also know that racism doesn’t exist in only one locale (or in one economic/educational class). But part of what makes it so tricky to be a person of color in Portland is that the city is often in denial about its racism because it’s so liberal and progressive on other issues.

So it turns out that the oh-so-tolerant city isn't so tolerant at all. It's racist as many Southern states during the height of the Jim Crow era, but just more subtle and backhanded. It's almost as if the denizens of Portland have never heard of Martin Luther King, Jr. or his dream that people “will be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.”

So much for that.

*****************


And the hits keep on coming!

In this case the story about Trump's travel “bankrupting the Secret Service” touted by the various organs of the DNC-MSM have turned out to be...wait for it....FAKE NEWS.

While it sounded like it was true, it turns out the Secret Service has been having some budget issues since the beginning of Obama's first term.

Now I'm waiting for them to blame Hurricane Harvey on Trump...uhh...too late.

*****************


One of my favorite working men, Mike Rowe, schools a smug snowflake who had the audacity to call him a “White Nationalist”. As Mike states, the snowflake uses logical fallacies to 'prove' that Rowe is an anti-intellectual white nationalist. But what the snowflake shows is that he is instead a grossly misinformed and unthinking tool of his fellow snowflakes.

Writes Mike:

Since we’re being candid, allow me to say how much I dislike your post. Everything about it annoys me – your smug and snarky tone, your appalling grammar, your complete lack of evidence to support your claims, and of course, the overarching logical fallacy that informs your entire position. What really bugs me though, is the fact that you’re not entirely wrong. It’s true; I haven’t shared any political opinions this week, in part anyway, because doing so might very well be “bad for business.”

What can I say? I work for half-a-dozen different companies, none of whom pay me to share my political opinions. I run a non-partisan foundation, I’m about to launch a new show on Facebook, and I’m very aware that celebrities pay a price for opening their big fat gobs. Gilbert Gottfried, Kathy Griffin, Colin Kaepernick, Milo Yiannopoulos…even that guy from Google who just got himself fired for mouthing off. There’s no getting around it – the first amendment does not guarantee the freedom to speak without consequences. And really, that’s fine by me.

So no – I’m not going to share my personal feelings about Charlottesville, President Trump, or the current effort to remove thousands of statues of long dead soldiers from the public square. Not just because it’s “bad for business,” but because it’s annoying. I can’t think of a single celebrity whose political opinion I value, and I’m not going to assume the country feels any differently about mine. So, rather than blow myself up, or chime in with all the obvious observations about the cowardly scum in the pointy hats, I’m going to talk instead about my belief that comments like yours pose a far greater threat to the future of our country than the existence of a memorial to Thomas Jefferson, or a monument to George Washington. Ready? Let’s start with a closer look at your claims.

The rest of his response is a thing of beauty, something all of the other celebrities should take to heart. No one really cares what celebrities think, particularly Hollywood types. Their beliefs and endorsements mean nothing to me because, quite frankly, so many of them are ignorant and uninformed. They have absolutely no understanding of the rest of America, particularly flyover country.

Read the whole thing!

*****************


Jonah Goldberg serves up a heaping portion of STFU to the Entitled Loud Mouths.

They want to order off the Chinese menu of modernity, picking and choosing the dishes they like, while at the same time cursing the cuisine and the culture that created it. It’s like Hollywood lefties who crap on America, the only society in the world that could have ever made them incredibly wealthy for making movies about fart jokes. The universities infested by entitled little Jacobins are Western institutions, but every day the rabble take sledgehammers to the soapboxes they stand on. They take for granted their rights and privileges that derive entirely from the tradition they denounce. They think they are heroes in the real world, never realizing they are playing a game only made possible by the tradition they ignorantly claim to hate. And if they took the goals of the game and successfully applied them to the real world, they’d be the first to whine about how backward, unfair, and hard the world they created was. They have no real tradition to draw upon save the one they claim is oppressive and cruel. They literally speak its language, use its laws, and benefit from its institutions, while claiming to be part of something more authentic.

I wonder how many of them would really like living in a world where 'their way' became reality? I have a feeling that most of them would find themselves on the wrong side of the power curve and end up in Hell rather than their faux Utopia.

(H/T Granite Grok)

*****************


And that's the news from Lake Winnipesaukee, where summer is hanging on, we're glad that we aren't in Texas this week, and where the new football season starts in a couple of weeks.