3/17/2016

The Downsides To The Internet Of Things

Any of you regular readers out there know that even thought I am a techie, I am not enamored of a lot of the technology that is available to everyone. Not that I am against it by any means, but I do understand both the good and the bad, particularly the downsides that many non-tech savvy people have no idea exist. It's one reason I don't have a smart phone – they're too vulnerable to hackers and crackers.

Here's another thing to be worried about – the Internet of Things, or IoT.

It is IoT that will help make it possible to network just about everything, running the gamut from the lights and thermostat inside your house to all of the electrical and electronics systems residing there. It sounds neat, being able to turn lights on and off, reset the thermostat, watch what's going on inside your house, or answer the doorbell even if your not home. Sounds neat, doesn't it?

But what if someone else were able to do those same things, too? And by that I mean controlling the lights, thermostat, and interior video cameras in your home. Not so neat now, is it?

Being able to hack into IoT networks isn't as hard as some may think. One fellow proved just how easy it was using his Android phone to hack into the control systems of his and just about every room in the hotel where he was staying.

I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to incorporate any form of IoT here at The Manse because, quite frankly, I know how insecure they can be. Besides, why would I need my phone or tablet just to turn on the lights? Can't I just use a light switch?