1/02/2014

The Storm Of Doom...Or Not

I've been watching the TV coverage of the snow storm that has made its way across the country.

To listen to them you'd think we'd never seen snow and cold like this before. Could it possibly be THE. STORM. OF. DOOM ?! (Cue ominous storm music.)

Give me a break.

I do have to admit that I was surprised at how cold it was when I left work late this afternoon, with one of the thermometers at work showing -1ºF (-18ºC) at 5PM, with a wind chill of -22ºF (-30ºC), and lots of blowing snow. Visibility wasn't all that great, but then I wasn't rushing home as I took my time in the icy/snowy/windy conditions.

There have been plenty of snow storms that topped this one even during my lifetime. (The Blizzard of '78 and the 'Storm of the Century” in 1993 are just two that come to mind.) There were far worse storms back in the 18th,19th, and early parts of the 20th centuries and people survived them without the help of our news media and all of their computer generated graphics, frolicking reporters, and ominous storm music.

It's winter. It's cold and it snows during winter in the northern climes.

Sheesh.