6/25/2012

Open Office Lives!

As the dozen or so of you regular readers of Weekend Pundit know, I am not a great fan of Microsoft Office, particularly Office 2010. (I won't bother going into all the reasons I dislike it, but if you want to know why, you can read my original post on the matter.) It is for this reason I have been using Open Office for a number of years now. It also helps that it is free.

Imagine my dismay when my dear brother informed me about a year ago that Sun had dropped all support for the Open Office platform. Not that the news made me stop using it as it had been such a good office suite, but I despaired of finding another suite like Open Office.

Imagine my surprise when a couple of weeks ago I saw a notification telling me an upgrade for Open Office was available for installation.

I clicked on the notification icon, downloaded and installed the upgrade.

When I fired up Open Office 3.4.0 for the first time after the upgrade I noticed something new on the opening flash screen: where it had once mentioned Sun it now said Apache Open Office.

That works for me.