5/16/2010

Thoughts On A Sunday

It's been a good weekend with great weather. While we didn't do anything earth shattering, at least the housework got done and BeezleBub made a big dent in the work needed to get the Official Weekend Pundit Lake Winnipesaukee Runabout ready for launching on the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend.

But for the most part I was really lazy, not doing all that much yesterday (some laundry and dishes were the about the extent of my exertions), I mostly read and napped. I'm not usually the napping type, but I've been dragging ass since Friday afternoon and felt tired even after a good night's sleep.

Do I feel guilty about it? Nope, not one bit. It's not like I do this on a regular basis so I figure a day like this once or twice a year can't hurt.

Yeah. Right.

***********

BeezleBub had his first driving lesson today with the Driver's Ed teacher. He's been driving with me for the past few months and has been doing pretty well. It helps that he's been driving various farm machinery over the past couple of years at the farm, including a number of the larger tractors, as well as his grandfather's tractor over the past seven or eight years, so he's had the basic mechanics of it down pretty well.

I have to admit that it will be a bittersweet moment for me when he finally gets his driver's license because I won't have to get up quite so early to drive him to school during the week or to the farm on the weekends and during the summer. But it also means that he won't need me or Deb to drive him anymore, meaning he will be far less dependent on his parents than he has been.

***********

I still see the regular 'reports' on the MSM about anthropogenic global warming and how we have to “do something” to keep us from destroying the planet. One would thing these bozos would be pulling back from that old propagandist mantra now that much of the 'science' has been unsettled.

While I have never denied that climate change has been taking place, I have been a firm skeptic when it comes to the claim the general warming trend over the past 100 years or so Is-All-The-Fault-Of-The-Evil-Humans.

Being the engineering type that I am, I have a pretty good head for analyzing data (though not nearly as good as Burt Rutan) and for understanding trends, both short and long term. How anyone can say “We're all DOOMED!” because warming has been taking place over the past 150 years is beyond me. Temps have been warmer than what we see now and human civilization didn't end (the Roman and Medieval Warm Periods). But the little Ice Age damn near did, particularly as it helped bring on the Black Plague which wiped out a sizable percentage of the European population.

Another thing, no one, and I mean no one has been able to prove the claim that warmer temperatures will bring about all the weather cataclysms. It's all conjecture based upon wishful thinking. (Remember the claims that the warmer weather we've seen will bring about more devastating and powerful hurricanes in greater numbers? But instead we've been seeing smaller storms and fewer of them.

I could go on and on, but that's best left for a future post.

***********

On the other hand there are scientists warning that there will be food and ethanol shortages as Earth's climate cools.

I wish these guys would make up their minds.

***********

I wonder when/if the Obama Administration will stop blaming Bush for every failure that has occurred during Obama's time in office? It seems folks are even trying to lay the blame for the BP oil platform disaster and following oils spill on Bush. By that kind of reasoning, the claim could be made that 9/11 was all Bill Clinton's fault. But you never once heard the Bush Administration making such a claim, did you?

(H/T Pirate's Cove)

***********

And that's the (abbreviated) news from Lake Winnipesaukee, where we don't have an oil spill to deal with, the weather is warm again, and boating season starts (for us) sometime in the next two weeks.