5/01/2008

An Uncomfortable Agreement

I find myself in an awkward position, one I thought I'd never experience.

I agree with Barack Obama on an issue.

Hillary Clinton and John McCain both think the government should suspend collecting federal gas taxes during the summer season. But both Barack Obama and I disagree with them. It would be foolish to do so as I believe it would have the effect of boosting gas usage rather than easing the burden upon the motoring public. This move would be yet another example of the Law of Unintended Consequences. It would also leave the government coffers with a bigger deficit than the one we're already seeing, unless of course Hillary's plan to tax the “windfall profits” of the oil companies were implemented. But that merely means that gas prices would remain the same. Only the location of where the tax was imposed would change. It's the old bait-and-switch ploy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. However personal attacks, legally actionable accusations,or threats made to post authors or those commenting upon posts will get those committing such acts banned from commenting.